Top 5 Residential Contractors in the US
We're at the time of year when tribute is paid to the current leaders in an industry, be it best actors or bestselling books. The construction industry is no different, and below are the nation’s five leading residential construction companies. Of course, there are bigger construction companies in other areas as well.
1. D.R. HortonAmerica's "Top Builder" twelve consecutive years in a row, D.R. Horton provides services to clients in the Mid-Atlantic, South, Mid Western, Western states, and now provides services in Hawaii. The company's 2013 revenue was $6.4 billion. D.R. Horton's specialty is Quick Move In (QMI) homes, where the buyer can move into a home that the firm has already or is about to complete. The company also offers buyer mortgages.
2. Pulte Group, Inc.The Pulte Group incorporates the entire United States. It has projects in areas of the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, Mid West, South, and West. The company's 2013 revenue was $5.5 billion. In addition to a program begun in 2013 to build homes for military veterans, the Pulte Group specializes in energy efficient custom home construction.
3. Lennar CorporationThe Lennar Corporation serves the Pacific Northwest, the Mid Western and Mid Atlantic states, the South, and Massachusetts. Its 2013 revenue was $5.3 billion. This company is currently sponsoring a "Million Dollar Healthy Homes Sweepstakes" to promote the health advantages of newly constructed homes as opposed to older ones. The Lennar Corporation specializes in upscale private homes and "+55" residential communities.
4. Toll Brothers, IncorporatedThe Toll Brothers serve Massachusetts, Mid Atlantic and Mid Western states, as well as areas in the West and Pacific Northwest. The company's 2013 revenue was $2.6 billion. The company specializes in building luxury homes and luxury gated communities, and has won a number of design and building awards. It also spreads its wealth around, supporting the American Red Cross, March Of Dimes, and New York City's Covenant House, among other charities. The company also publishes a lifestyles magazine and is a Metropolitan Opera sponsor.
5. Taylor Morrison Home CorporationThe Morrison Corporation serves limited areas in the South and West. The company's 2013 revenue was $2.2 billion. The company specializes in ready to move in homes with an emphasis on eco-friendliness. Property features include water-saving landscaping and storm water management. The company also has set aside 3,253 acres of land to be kept open in perpetuity. The Morrison Corporation recently made construction industry headlines by selling its Canadian subsidiary, Monarch for approximately $570 million (CAD) to Mattamy Homes Limited. Morrison plans to use these proceeds to expand its U.S. operations.