Originally known as "web logs" (weblogs, get it?) these "diaries" soon took on a life of their own. Transitioning from personal musings for a private audience to a way to pass along quickly updated news within a web site, various organizations and finally businesses adopted this format to pass along information within their own sites. The construction industry was no exception. Today, if a firm has a construction industry website, odds are good that a construction blog is part of it. But are these blogs and similar "breaking news" sections good reading? Below are five construction oriented blogs that are worth following.
1. Contracting CoachThis site recognizes that part of being a good construction manager is keeping both clients and workers happy. This construction blog not only offers tips on how to be both a good employer and employee, but provides information on changing trends within the industry that can affect work, plus training in the form of downloadable podcasts on topics like effective meetings, firm marketing, and more.
2. Blue Collar LabsThis construction industry database provides not only “breaking” latest construction news, but compiles and archives technical information for use as well. In addition to accessing online information, a newsletter is available for site members as well.
3. Con App GuruRob McKinney is a construction industry technology consultant and blogger who is becoming an increasingly well-known speaker at industry events. As the name of this site indicates, it focuses on applications that can be used within the construction industry. Blog content here includes reviews of products, podcasts, and a database of apps that the "App Guru" has tried out and found useful.
4. Construction Leading EdgeSite owner and host Todd Dewalt offers a podcast series here that features interviews with leading firm owners and entrepreneurs within the construction industry. This site also offers information on industry training opportunities and a reading list.
5. RakenThe software company for daily reporting features a construction blog that offers lively and timely information on breaking news, training resources, trends within the construction industry, and more. The Raken site also offers demonstration videos, training webinars, and technical information.